Top 5 Wine Clubs in the US
You’ll have a wine cooler that can store 50 bottles of wines, now it’s time fill it up with some nice bottles of wine! For lovers of wine, it is safe to say that it doesn’t get any better than wine clubs. The clubs offer a chance to enjoy good old fashion selections and explore exciting new ones from the very comfort of your home. It can, however, be very difficult to choose the best club to subscribe to. The problem is not that there are no good ones but because there are so many amazing ones to choose from that the term spoilt for choice feels more like a punishment than a privilege. To make things easier for you, below are five of the best wine clubs in the country. They are all different with different offers and options for you. The one thing they all have in common is the amazing variety and high quality wine that subscribers get to enjoy. The five are:
1. International Wine of the Month Club – www.winemonthclub.com
This club offers, by far, the largest variety of wines in this clubs list. This is because the club deals exclusively with wineries from all over the globe. So if you ever wondered how sparkly wine from Spain or whites from China taste, then this is the club for you.
What to expect
Each subscription gets you a bottle of wine from a different country every month. The club offers other treats to go with the wine including cheese platters, chocolate, cigars and flowers if you wish to surprise a special someone.
The price depends on your membership series where you could either be in the Premier series, Masters Series or Collectors series with a minimum of $34.95 per month. Shipping is charged separately with a flat rate of $13 per month.
- Offers a wide variety of wines from all over the world. No contract required. The wine is of high quality and is selected by experts. You have a variety of membership options to choose from.
- You only get two bottles every month. It is expensive.
2. Original Wine of the Month Club – www.wineofthemonthclub.com
If you want a trusted club that has been around for years then this is the one for you. As the name suggests, this was the very first wine club to set up a monthly wine schedule and have been wowing subscribers with amazing options since 1972. The club offers different memberships series and whichever you choose will determine what you get, how much you get and what you have to pay.
What to expect
Depending on your membership series, you will get 2 or six bottles of wine every month from the club’s selection for that specific month. You have limited power on what exactly you get as the club chooses the wines for you allowing you to explore and experience different tastes. You do, however, get the chance to choose whether you prefer red or white wine. The monthly schedule allows exploration of a wide variety of wine types from vintages to newcomers that are bound to blow you away.
There are five membership series with different charges and offers as shown below:
- Classic series- from $ 21.95 per month for two bottles.
- California Wine Series- from $26.95 per month for two bottles of red wine.
- Vintners Series- From $31.95 per month for two bottles.
- Limited series- From $41.95 per month for 2 bottles of classic and vintage selections.
- Cellar series- From $65.95 for 6 bottles and a newsletter every other month.
- No contract required. Offers a wide variety of high quality wines. Offers different levels of membership
- Does not deliver to states with restrictions on shipment of alcohol.
3. Club W – www.clubw.com
If exclusivity is what you are looking for then Club W is where you are most likely to find it. The club specializes in wines that you will not get anywhere else in the country. This is because the club works directly with their own specific wineries acting as the exclusive sellers.
What to expect
This is one of the most unique wine clubs not only in the degree of wine selection exclusivity but in how they decide what to send their subscribers. You have to answer a simple questionnaire that helps them characterize you r taste profile and preferences even though you are not consciously aware of them. Using the compiled profile, they come up with selections that are bound to blow your mind.
Prices range from $13 – $14 per bottle depending on the membership type where you can either be a Featured Member or in the Curator’s Choice group respectively. Shipment is charged separately with a flat rate of $6 per shipment.
- Offers exclusivity with wines you cannot get elsewhere. Includes champagne and sparkling wines unlike most other clubs. No contract required It is relatively cheap in comparison with other clubs in the same league.
- There are no vintage wines or rare selections on offer due to the fact that they make their own wine.
4. California Wine Club – www.cawineclub.com
California is the undisputed capital of good wine in the USA. The California Wine Club in particular is a haven for wine fanatics who are interested not only in the good wine but in learning a little about the wine itself in terms of history and the production process itself. It is pretty much wine geek heaven. They mainly sample wine from California but subscribers with the International membership status get to enjoy sour treats from all over the world.
What to expect
From a club that has been active since 1990, it is safe to say that you can expect nothing but the best. Their wine experts work tirelessly to find different bottles to wow you with every month. The wines are all of the highest quality such that you do not have to be a wine expert to enjoy. You can expect a wide variety of wines and champagnes to excite your palate while you increase you depth of knowledge of every bottle’s history.
The California club is also unique due to the flexibility in shipment schedule where subscribers can either choose monthly, bimonthly or quarterly shipment at the prices stipulated below for different membership levels.
- Premier series- From $39.95 per shipment for two bottles from small wineries
- Signature series- From $124 per shipment for high quality selections.
- International series- From $71 per shipment for 2 bottles from around the world.
- Aged Cabernet Series- From $219 per shipment of two bottles of cabernet older than 8 years.
- Pacific North West Series- From $77 per shipment of two bottles from Washington and Oregon.
- No contract A wide variety of both local and international high quality wines. Includes champagnes and sparkling wines.
- It is expensive.
5. Plonk Wine Club – www.plonkwineclub.com
This is where you go if you want something rare or something seasonal. Sure, it is expensive but it goes without saying that with what you get to experience from the Plonk Wine Club, every penny will have been well spent. The club prides itself in being trendy and with the times focusing not only on the old greats but also on the new ones. This makes it perfect for both wine experts and simple wine fans who want the best of both worlds.
What to expect
The club specializes in boutique wines. If you have ever tried to land yourself a bottle of this wine out there you know that it is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack. And when you do find what you are looking for, it is usually crazy expensive. With Plonk Wine Club however, you get these elusive bottles easily and at a reduced price. They do not, however, stock vintage, sparkling wines and champagne which can be a bit of a bummer for collectors and people looking for a little bubbly fun. They make up for this shortcoming with their other amazing options such that you won’t even notice anything is missing.
Unlike other clubs, your membership series does not determine how much you pay. It only determines whether you get white wine, red wine or both. Prices are determined by the number of bottles as shown below:
- 2 bottles- $49.99 per month
- 4 bottles- $89.99 per month
- 13 bottles- $249.99 per month
- Shipment includes a free local magazine.
- Offers rare boutique wines at lower prices.
- It is expensive with a non-refundable long term membership fee.
After all is said and done, there is no denying that each and every one of the wine clubs on this list has earned its spot. They cater for all your needs and preference ensuring that whether you like red, white, sweet, sparkling or whatever other kind of wine, you are covered.